ZUBI'S Savory Shepherd's Pie
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 16 oz ZUBI'S Salsa
- 2 lb. 90% lean ground beef -LAMB Sarah's fave
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 cup frozen mixed peas & carrots*
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 - 2 lb. russet potatoes -about 3 large potatoes peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/3 cup ZUBI’S Queso
- 1/3 cup full fat oat milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- optional: 1/4 cup parmesan cheese regular or vegan
- optional:1 stick butter, regular or vegan
Make the Meat Filling.
- Add the oil to a large skillet and place it over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the ground beef or LAMB to the skillet and ZUBI’S Salsa. Break it apart with a spoon.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and spices. Stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the flour. Stir until well incorporated and no clumps.
- Add the broth, frozen peas and carrots, and frozen corn. Bring the liquid to a boil then reduce to simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Set the meat mixture aside. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Make the potato topping.
- Bring the water to a boil. Place the potatoes in a large pot. (Make sure water covers the potatoes) Cook until potatoes are fork tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander. Return the potatoes to the hot pot. Let the potatoes rest in the hot pot for 1 minute to evaporate any remaining liquid.
- Add ZUBI’S Queso, full fat oat milk, garlic salt, thyme and pepper. Mash the potatoes and stir in the parmesan cheese.
Assemble the casserole.
- Pour the meat mixture into a 9x9 (or 7x11) inch baking dish. Spread it out into an even layer. Spoon the mashed potatoes on top of the meat. Carefully spread into an even layer.
- If the baking dish looks very full, place it on a rimmed baking sheet so that the filling doesn’t bubble over into your oven. Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes.** Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with parsley.
*If you can’t find frozen mixed peas and carrots, you could use 1/2 cup frozen peas and 1/2 cup frozen sliced carrots.
**Bake at 400° F. Start preheating the oven after you make the meat mixture (listed in step 6).
Be the first to comment.