Zubiate's Spaghetti Sauce
The sauce takes 2.5 hours simmering time. The remaining portion takes about 30 minutes.
- 12-15 fresh tomatoes (peeled, chopped and blended in a food processor)
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic
- A bunch of dried basil (3-5 Tbsp)
- A bunch of black pepper (1-2 tsp)
- 1 TBSP of Agave (optional)
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1/3 cup of grated Parmesan Cheese or *Follow Your Heart grated Vegan
- Parmesan cheese (Zubi's preference)
- Minced chives
- 2 lbs ground (beef or turkey) meat
- 3 tubs Zubiate's Mild or Medium Salsa
- 2 lbs fresh Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1/8 C Cumin
- 1-2 C Cabernet Wine
- Heat the olive oil in a 5+ qt. pot over medium heat, and add the onion.
- Saute for 10 minutes or so, stirring often and being careful not to burn it.
- Add the chopped or pressed garlic.
- Heat for another one to two minutes, making sure not to burn the garlic, then add all the tomatoes, black pepper, basil and sugar. Stirring often, bring to a low boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2-3 hours stirring often.
- For the first half of the simmer time, do so with the pot uncovered, then cover.
- Add the cheese and two tubs of Zubiate's salsa in and simmer for an additional 10 minutes or so.
- While this is simmering, pour the mushrooms into a sauce pan, pour in 2 C of wine and add additional agave to taste
- Cook the meat and season with 1 tub of Zubiate's salsa
- Add 1/8 C cumin, salt, basil, oregano and thyme to taste
- Pour all the ingredients into a large pot and pour over noodles of your selection.